Pages

Saturday, June 7, 2008

A Virtue, Carried to Extremes, Becomes a Vice

I worked at a company once that would re-organize itself every few years, like clockwork. I think Scott Adams (Dilbert) talks about this phenomenon.

With me, I think re-organizing is just something I do when I don't want to work on the current task. It's a common way out for me, when I need to think more about something. If I stop to clean my office, it's not goofing off, right? And yes, my office usually needs cleaning.

Now, there are times when more thought is necessary. But, since you know that getting blocked is going to happen, you just need to have a plan for what the next task on the list is. If you just look around the room for something to do when you have you'll end up doing something that might not need to be done.

Once again, be aware of situations that might derail your productivity, and plan for them. You'll do much better than if you just react when they happen.

No comments: