Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Managing Distractions

Like just about everyone in the modern world, I act like I have ADD. The cell phone rings, I answer. An instant message shows up, I read it. I check email fourteen times a day, and I always have blogs I could be reading.

By the time I've started working, I find it too late to deal with distractions. The key is to deal with them BEFORE I start working. Leaving the phone off during scheduled working times is an obvious first step. Another good step is making a commitment to a period of time without surfing, and without IM. Doing this before you start helps prevent those little interruptions that happen when you tell yourself "only one quick note", and three hours later, you are still IMing.

I'm working at home now, too. So I have to deal with all the additional home based distractions. Getting out (Starbuck's, Library, etc) can help deal with these.

Think of other distractions that may occur, and design strategies for dealing with them before you start working, and they will be much more effective.

No comments: