Pages

Friday, April 25, 2008

Learning New Skills: Adobe InDesign & Lynda.com

I've been learning Adobe InDesign for the last week. Adobe InDesign is a desktop publishing/page layout program. It's used for any sort of layout, magazines, catalogs, flyers, books, etc. It can be used to produce PDFs. for print on demand books, too.

It's a powerful program, but there's a tremendous amount to learn. I read through the Adobe InDesign CS3 Bible, but it's hard to get a feel for it while just reading. Then I found Lynda.com. Lynda's tutorials are great! It's much easier to follow along when you can see what is happening on screen. And the tutorials are much better than the generic youtube videos because they use a high resolution video, so you can actually read what's on screen.

Lynda is a pay site, but you can play the first hour of so of each title for free, which is quite useful in itself. It's $25 a month for access to everything. I think I'm going to end up signing up for a month or two, just to get through the forty-five hours of indesign videos they have. They have videos on everything from Outlook and Vista, to Photoshop and Maya.

I'm going to start redirecting my time spent reading fark.com to time spent learning on lynda.com. It's almost as interesting, and much more productive!

No comments: